Saturday, June 14, 2008

Camden

We're in Baltimore visiting friends, so I've hopped on their laptop to keep my blogging streak alive. Yes, I am that cool.

We just got back from an Orioles game at Camden Yards, the best place in America to watch a baseball game. Julie loves going to baseball games for one specific reason: the hot dogs.

Seriously:
"Julie, wanna go to a Twins game?"
"Do I get a hot dog?"

In fact, the first time I ever asked her out was to a Twins game. She said no. I should've asked if she wanted to go out for a hot dog where there would also be a baseball game to watch.

Anyway, what hit me in a profound way tonight was that I will have to teach my daughter the rules of baseball at some point. Her mother won't be any help. She consistently fails the baseball pop quizzes I give her.

"What's a double play?"
"When two things happen at once?"
"Incorrect. What does it mean when you're a switch hitter?"
"You run the bases backwards?"

Teaching a child the rules to a sport suddenly seems daunting when one's on the way. I guess there's always wikipedia.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So you're cool enough to hijack a laptop and blog from Baltimore, but then what? You've gone MIA. Must be busy reorganizing the basement...