Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Timing

As a couple, we usually straddle the line between on time and fashionably late. We're not quite fashionable about it; we're more like Old Navy late.

I suspect our daughter will be the same way. She is scheduled to make her grand entrance on November 12th. Old Navy late would mean she chills in the womb four more days until the 16th, wearing a fleece hoodie.

On November 16th, Julie turns 30, and herein lies the issue. First, Julie has told me for years that she wants a surprise trip for her 30th. I contact her boss, I pack her clothes, and I fly her to New York for a long weekend--that kind of thing. Well, that's out for obvious reasons. Even if the kid is still stalling, Julie can't fly and it's much too far to roll her.

Second, though, is what a shared birthday will mean for me. Because yes, we're talking about me here. Imagine each year when we're planning little Daniqua's party. Julie will say, "Well, I don't think I should have to plan anything since it's my birthday too." So then I'll have to arrange the clowns and ponies and bouncy tent every year. Plus I'll have to plan surprise trips for Julie to make up for missing her 30th, which we all know will morph into my fault.

Oh crap, and the milestone years will be twice as much work. Daniqua is 10! Mom is...40! Daddy's still 39 because he's not special!

Yikes. Let's all cross our fingers that the birthday is not the birth day.

2 comments:

Pandora Wilde said...

I have the distinction of screwing up my mom's birthday--hers is September 15, meaning she couldn't party on her 21st birthday because she was about 2 weeks away from giving birth to me. I don't think she'll ever let me forget it.

Anonymous said...

don't worry....I was a first-born girl and I was 2-3 weeks late (depending on who you believed about the date of conception...). Which will leave you plenty of time to plan 2 parties in the future.