Monday, August 4, 2008

Credibility

When I was little, my dad taught me the concept of infinity using ice cream. Interrupting as I was about to dig into a scoop, he told me how I could make it last forever.

"How? How how how how how how?"

"Well, you start by eating half of it. Then you eat half of it again," he said.

"That's two bites," I said, revealing slightly below average intelligence.

"No, you eat half of it, then half of what's left, then half of what's left. You'll never finish it."

That first bite gave me a headache that lasted 10 minutes. Then, as the subsequent bites got smaller and smaller, I understood I had been fiendishly duped. It reminded me of the time Dad told me about belt snakes, causing me to fearfully shun all belts.

I can't wait to exact misdirected vengeance on my own child.

No comments: