Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Tantrum

Recently I've read several parenting magazines cover to cover, and one trend persists. They're written for women. Everything is mom-this and mom-that, nothing about dad unless it's a woman writing in about her husband. One even has an article titled "Mommy's Having a Tantrum" and gives groundbreaking advice like "Breathe deeply" and "Go to your happy place."

Clearly these strategies are effective for women only and the writer couldn't have possibly geared it to all parents. After all, a magazine better suited to my gender might suggest "Toss the pigskin" or "Break things" instead of the undeniably womanish "Use words."

I suppose a parenting magazine for daddies wouldn't have enough subject matter. Articles like "Strategies to get that next promotion," "What to do when her cooking suffers," and "When will she sleep with me again?" along with ads for aftershave and bass fishing might sustain one issue, but then what? Child development? Snack recipes? Don't be silly. That's mommy stuff.

I know there are probably gender-neutral parenting magazines out there that I've missed. Truthfully, I haven't looked very hard. But then, should I have to?

No comments: