Friday, April 25, 2008

What happens when it's just you and the pre-verbal progeny?

Last night I got home from parent-teacher conferences at around 8:30. There was Julie at her computer, WORKING! My calming influence only affects her when I'm in the room, you see, so in my absence she had descended into a productivity spiral.

But what happens during those first 6-16 weeks of motherhood when she's home with no career-related work to do? I mean think about that. For those weeks, she won't be involved with project plans, status updates, or even with speaking to the pricing team about overcoming career roadblocks. No brand image. No E's of Excellence. Just...mommy stuff.

So she'll be occupied with feeding and wiping the baby, teaching it multiplication tables, taking it to t-ball practice, and all that. And oh yes, sleeping. But will that be enough to keep her happy until I get home each day? Doesn't it all get monotonous after awhile? Won't she go cRaZy?

Hey, could I use these concerns to convince her that we need--that she needs--a 50+ inch LCD TV?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan,

Congratulations and I'm so glad that something important enough happened to get you writing for us again!

Rachel

Anonymous said...

Absolutely hilarious! I love it. I now have found my entertainment for the next 30 weeks or so:) CONGRATS from your child's favorite auntie!!

Jen said...

I think *I* am the favorite auntie. I'm surprised I haven't been mentioned in this blog yet! Dan, I will have to do something amazing to get myself included. Oh, and Jodie and I might have to count how many times we are mentioned to determine who is most favored (at least by you) :)